After taking home a gold medal in the discus competition at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, Chioma Onyekwere cemented her place in sporting history.
The Nigerian athlete won the competition with a throw of 61.70 meters, breaking her previous season record. She is the first Nigerian woman to win a gold medal at a Commonwealth Games.
She was followed on the platform by Obiageri Amechi, another Nigerian, who won the bronze with a throw of 56.99 meters.
The total number of medals won by Nigeria now stands at eight.
Overall, three medals have been won: three gold, one silver, and four bronze.
1. Olarinoye Adenike Adijat – in Women’s 55kg Powerlifting
2. Edidiog Joseph Umoafia - in Men’s Powerlifting 67kg
3. Rafiatu Folashade Lawal – in Women’s Powerlifting 59kg
4. Islamiyat Adebukola – in women’s 64 kg weightlifting
5. Taiwo Laidi – in women’s powerlifting 76 kg
6. Mary Taiwo Osijo – in women’s powerlifting 87 kg
7. Chioma Onyekwere – on female disco
8. Obiageri Amechi – on female disc